The Story of J

This is my diary.

These are my words, thoughts, feelings, sucesses, failures, desires and fears.

This is my life.

Comments are welcome and appreciated. I only ask that you keep it respectful.

Please keep in mind there is no requirement for you to read this blog. If there is something here you do not like, leave. Thank you, J.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Life: Through her eyes

I had my last class tonight. I couldn't get out of the classroom fast enough. With the exception of a couple of papers due next week, I am completely finished with the classroom portion of my degree. Only my internship and a project stands between me and my degree. I'd celebrate this weekend but I got papers to finish and the kitchen downstairs is driving me insane. We have entirely too much shit in there and I am feeling generous. I have a ton of stuff to give to the salvation army and at last count we had over 20 coffee cups. There are 3 people here.

Any who
...

In my practicum class we had to counsel each other with a real problem that we were having in our lives and then present to the class about our sessions with the person we counseled. My classmate counseled me on time management. With the exception of her soft voice, she is a very effective counselor. She presented her case on me to the class which was no biggie. I was at the sessions so I knew what she was going to say. But her recommendations are what kinda took me back. She said that I spent my whole day catering to other people and spent very little of my day on myself. She suggested that I take one part of my day and do something for myself, completely and selfishly. I didn't really think I had spent my day doing things for other people until she ran down a typical day for me and I was dumbfounded. In a single day the only time I really spend doing my own thing is checking email and sleeping. She also said I needed to take better care of myself, which I have known for a while. I have neglected myself since I have been back in school and I am really looking forward to having a more steady schedule in the upcoming months and being able to do the things I really want to do. I hate that I feel guilty when I want to do something for myself rather than someone else but I need to learn to not let that rule me as much in the future. Especially when after a conversation with my momma the other night I realized that many people in my life don't appreciate the time I give them. My best friend said I am getting soft. Blah.

But all in all I am taking my classmate's words to heart and will try to incorporate more "me-time" into my life.

As soon as I finish with that kitchen...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home