The Story of J

This is my diary.

These are my words, thoughts, feelings, sucesses, failures, desires and fears.

This is my life.

Comments are welcome and appreciated. I only ask that you keep it respectful.

Please keep in mind there is no requirement for you to read this blog. If there is something here you do not like, leave. Thank you, J.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Boundaries

Yesterday I had another meeting with my client and we worked on some more of her writing skills. She has quite a bit of difficulty with reading and writing but in the last couple of sessions I have really been impressed by her thinking. She can think out a wonderful essay, its just getting it down on paper. She is always shy and withdrawn but she's started to perk up a bit when we talk. During our meeting I asked her about how mid-semester grades and she got very quiet and started to cry. I reached my arms out to hug her, as is always my natural reaction, but I had to pull myself back and simply rub her back and offer her a tissue. She told me her grades were not the best and that she was having a hard time adjusting to college life. I had to hold my own tears back because I remember what the first semester was like too. I tried to give her encouragement and dissuade her from leaving school at the end of the semester. I had to hold myself back then too. I cannot tell the client what to do. I can only provide help in making a decision. I wish I had gotten her back in the beginning of the semester. I was glad to see her really open up toward the end of the session but I was bit frustrated as well. My hands are tied. And certainly not in the good way.

I have to remember my boundaries. There are no more mock sessions with do-overs and critiques. My client is a real person, with real issues. We talk about it alot in class but until you have someone sitting in front of you, its hard to relate.

All I wanted to do was hug her. But that wasn't what she needed, that was what I needed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

You are such an angel. I miss you! I've been blogging for awhile too now, so I've added you to mine. Don't forget I'm always there if you need to talk! <3

6:33 PM  
Blogger J. said...

Thank you beautiful! I miss you too. I lost your link when my computer crashed a couple months ago. Email me? Love you! Lix and Kisses.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home